Measuring your garage door opening for a new door is an important step in the process of purchasing and installing a new garage door. It is important to have accurate measurements to ensure that the door you purchase will fit properly and function correctly. Here are the steps to measure your garage door opening:
- Measure the width of the door opening. Measure the distance between the inside of the left and right jambs (vertical framing on the sides of the door opening) at the top, middle, and bottom of the opening. Use the smallest measurement for the width of the door opening.
- Measure the height of the door opening. Measure the distance between the inside of the header (horizontal framing above the door opening) and the finished floor.
- Measure the depth of the door opening. Measure the distance from the back of the garage wall to the front of the door opening. This will be the depth of the door jamb.
- Measure the distance from the floor to the ceiling.
- Measure the height of any existing hardware on the door such as the garage door opener, springs, tracks and etc.
It’s important to note that measuring the garage door opening is a crucial step in the door installation process, and should be done accurately to ensure a smooth installation. If you have any doubts or concerns, it is always recommended to contact a garage door company like us here at Paramount Garage Doors. We will handle all of measuring and walk you through the simple process of picking out the best garage door for your Sacramento home.